Thursday, December 11, 2008

Realized my problem with Cosette


So in the Musical Les Mis Cosette is supposed to be the big heroine. She has a miserable childhood and get rescued. She goes on to get the love of her life and have a wonderful life. I love Cosette the child but in Act 2 all I want to do is get rid of Cosette. Here she is sweeping in and Marius is in love with her. They are meant to be destined in the sky. Now guy's are always claiming that girls problem is they want to be swept off their feet. But come on, it is totally the guys who claim to be in love when they talked with a girl for what 2.5 seconds. I have never claimed to be in love with a guy after such a short time. Interested yes! but believing I could marry a guy...NO WAY!!! Marius has Eponine and never recognizes just what a catch she really is. She dies in his arm while he is saying that he loves her all the while never being in love with her. Eponine is strong and courageous. She doesn't hide out and pretend the revolution isn't happening. She helps it!!! She works hard to change the world and help the cause. Marius depends on her for everything but in the end takes her for granted. What did Cosette do that was so great? What did she do to prove she was worthy of Marius' love? Marius is shallow just like all the other boy's in my life. They want whatever they think is the prettiest and the best. Who cares about the girl who has seen you through everything he helps you and supports you and gives you everything you want. If your lucky you get shot and die before the wedding. In that way I am jealous of Eponine. Wow, this came out really bitter but I don't mean it that bitter.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Ditto. What happened to marry your best friend? Doesn't anybody think about long term happiness? Marry someone you have fun with, you respect, and who doesn't annoy the snot out of you.

Beth said...

Hey Christiana, I just found your blog on facebook. I have to say I totally agree with you on this. I went to see Les Mis this summer and cried through the whole thing for that exact reason. I felt quite foolish but it's good to know others feel the same way. :) Just had to share.

Anonymous said...

I agree to. She has done everything for him, suffered and died. But Marius is a bit idiot ; so are we all when we're in love. I'm sure the day Cosette and him will quarrell about dishes, he will think of her. But I love Cosette too, because It's a bit like a tale. Some people are lucky, others arent's ,that's the story conclusion. And nobody is worth unhapiness or bliss : a matter of life chances.But actually, in any way, I would like to shake hand with Eponine, because she has been brave and beautiful, and Cosette has been sitting in her garden and crying their love story long.