Thursday, February 5, 2009

Decisions

I have been thinking a lot about decisions. Big decisions and little decisions. Now there is really nothing new in what I am about to say but I just wanted to express some of my thoughts on decisions. I believe we start our life with infinite number of outcomes and slowly with every decision we make you narrow down the outcomes and even the options on what is happening. Now I bet a lot of you are thinking this doesn't need to be said but I am not saying it for you I am saying it for me.

There are big decisions such as going to BYU. And that put me on a path that is completely different if I had stayed at home. I made the decision to be a teacher...which has been an awesome and it has completely put me on a particular path. I remember that in high school people expected great things from me. Not to toot my own horn but I was valedictorian. The principal talked about how I would present a case in front of the Supreme Court....why did she say that? Because whenever I said I wanted to be a teacher people would always say you could do so much more and be such a powerful person. But I didn't let other people's expectations dictate what I was going to do. I stuck by my guns and I went with teaching. I do make a difference everyday. I am there for those kids and they need me. Some of them don't have anyone else. I do more than I could have ever done as a lawyer for these kids.


Then other decisions don't seem so obvious. You see I have made a lot of little decisions on a daily or a weekly level but they have put me on a path and right now I would not imagine my life any other way. I have been blest to have some of the greatest people in the world.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

...Robert Frost

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about people saying things like your principal. I vividly remember the day in 9th grade when Michael Smith said, "Please tell me you're not going to waste your brain by just being a mom!" I was outraged. That is MY choice and that is the difference I want to make. Yeah, I could be a doctor, or a scientist, or lawyer or judge or whatever. I could kick tail as those things, and they can all make wonderful and important changes in the world, but I can in my way too. My life. My choice.