Sunday, February 22, 2009

Things we give up

I think I have already blogged about this before but I am doing it again. I have given up a lot of things in my life. Some of the things I have given up are really great things to give up. Others are things I genuinely miss. It also makes me wonder about the reason I have given up the good things in life.

I have chosen to be a teacher and I love it. There are no regrets with that decision but because of that decision some things naturally feel by the wayside. I knew that I was never going to be a concert pianist or a concert violinist....but does that mean that I should give them up completely. I still love playing the piano although I am easily intimidated because everyone plays the piano so well. I miss the feel of the strings under my fingers. I love pulling the bow across the strings. But I haven't played in forever.

Then there were other things I did that were just for me. Namely poetry....I have ruined my love for poetry again (as you can tell since I have posted some of the poems that I have written). I love the release that poetry brings to me . I love the clarity I get while I am writing. I love the freedom of expression.

Finally, I miss my range. I love singing!!!! And I even took lessons for awhile and I found that I had a much wider range than I ever thought I had before. I loved hitting those high notes and I love the power behind my voice because I had the confidence to sing and sing. I miss that. I have lost my range (which happens when you don't practice) I have lost my skills and I have lost my words. I have given up a lot of things that I didn't have to. I neglected them and I miss them. I want them back.....I NEED THEM BACK!!!!! I know that it is all within my power I just have to practice.

No comments: