Friday, September 12, 2008

This Week I am a Success!!!!!

So, when I first started at my new school there was a lot of negativity. In my school you have two very different populations. One half of the school is bussed from all over the district for the ALPS program which is basically the Gifted and Talented program. So you teach ALPS kids or you teach Boundary kids. Well I have the Boundary kids and when people would hear this they would be like. I am so sorry those kids are so bad and they are so slow. They don't care about school and I just wouldn't even bother with homework because they will never do it and that is going to be so so hard. I wanted to scream OF COURSE THEY ARE HARD WHEN YOU HAVE THAT ATTITUDE. But I kept it to myself and I have pushed the Boundary kids and you know what they have achieved everything I have pushed them to do because I believe in them. Then this week they even went above my high expectations for them. It was the anniversary of September 11 and so I took the day out to remember it and talk about it. On friday I had about 20 "dumb" boundary kids come up to me and say they were so interested they went to the library and researched September 11 and they watched videos online and they gave me lists of videos I should check out. I was so proud. They did it all on their own and that is more impressive than a bunch of kids who do their homework assignments because it shows that they can be self-motivated and I was part of that. So this week I was a success!!!!!!!!! (Next week might be a different story)

No comments: